Sunday, October 20, 2013

October Horror: Mini Reviews

As is the convention, October means Horror movies and even though that is not exactly my forte, like last year, I wanted to take this opportunity to strike out some names off my watch-list. Below are mini reviews of some of the horror films I saw this month. I guess I will watch few more in the 10 days to come including my Blind Spot this month but it seems like you will have to read about them in the monthly wrap up post. Let’s get to it then!

The Changeling(1980): George C. Scott is one of those people who have impressed me in every single role I have seen him in. Arguably, I have only seen his legendary stuff in pre-Patton(1970) era but with that he has become a name that I am instantly drawn to regardless of much else in the movie. I would have easily been satisfied by that but that’s not the only pedigree this movie came with. It also came highly recommended as one of the best Horror movies and I decided to give it a go on the occasion of this month. After losing his daughter and wife in freakish car accident composer John Russell, played by George C. Scott, is slowly returning back to his normal life. He moves to Washington State to teach and rents out an old mansion to find some peace. Soon he experiences some paranormal activities in the house and as he digs deeper, with the help of Claire Norman who helped him finding this house, uncovers a terrible secret guarded heavily for more than half a century by very powerful person.

It certainly did impress me with its traditional horror elements but what elevates its status a bit more in my eyes are the non-Horror aspects of it. As a non-horror fan, I find most of the horror movies fixate on the gory stuff unnecessarily leaving most of the basic film stuff unattended. Story is usually non present or at best can be expressed in couple of lines, characters tend to do inexplicable things that even a 4-year old would not otherwise. Where The Changeling scores is in being a decent film even when it’s not a horror film. In John Russell and Claire Norman trying to find out the reasons for paranormal experiences in his house, it gives us a good background story and takes some time and pain to explore it and moreover to come to an intelligent, satisfying conclusion. It starts off and also ends on traditional horror notes but in between the two, it provides an engaging human story which works almost like a detective work. Even with the horror elements, it mostly stays away from relying on effects and does more with atmosphere which makes them work even after more than 30 years. Decent story, good performances and horror elements that can do their thing even today definitely made it a worthy watch for me this October.
Rating(out of 5):


Suspiria(1977): Now to the elephant in the room, Suspiria, my first ever Argento film. I often try to challenge myself and watch something that I normally wouldn’t. These horror mini marathons in October are part of that exercise as I rarely go out of my way to watch a horror movie for the rest of the year. I look at it as a part of my growth as a film lover. However unfortunately, more often than not it turns into me hating on a classic. I had been meaning to take a look at some of his films almost since last Halloween and off course, what could be better than starting off with one of his most famous films right? Apparently a lot, because I seriously could not get into this film. At All. Sorry everyone but so not my cup of tea. Everyone in the film was weird, creepy and loud. Way too loud. Everything is needlessly spooky, suspicious and most of what happens is without any reasonable justification; a random sequence of events that just happen to involve the same characters. I guess a lot of these things are done purposefully, maybe because of the limitations of the era or to give it more jarring look and feel but either way, it took me out of the film time and again.

Even though I knew Suspiria by reputation it turns out that I really did not know anything about it because I had no idea it had anything to do with ballet school or even Germany. However that does pose a small problem for me because I don’t know if I missed something but it doesn’t really use that setting. For all you know, it could have been set in any girl’s hostel in Africa somewhere and it would still work fine. There are few other details as well that we are privy to but don’t really add anything to the story. Like Olga vanishes completely after her brief spell early or Daniel’s dog randomly starts killing people. Were we suppose to forget that happened and move on? Probably one of the reasons why I don’t like horror movies particularly is because I don’t give them a free pass on everything else as long as they fulfill the scary requirements. I still look into them some kind of sensible story, character development as story progresses and most horror movies fall short on these bars. And most of them don’t really scare me. They make me jump once or twice but nothing further. Suspiria created similar sense of dread with its score, surrounding and bright colored sets but after a while it gets so heavy-handed that I was completely turned off by it. Sorry, I Guess!
Rating(out of 5):
Sunshine(2007): I know this is probably not the most conventional horror film, much more on the lines of a thriller but if we can include TheThing(1982), I think there is no reason why not include this one as well. And for my money, The Thing is one of the best horror films I have seen. Like Ang Lee, Danny Boyle is another director praised for venturing into different genre with his every film. This is him primarily trying his hand in sci-fi. I have kind of love-hate relationship with the director. I don’t have a very high opinion of two of his most revered films, Trainspoting(1996) or Slumdog Millionaire(2008) but 28 Days Later...(2002) and 127 Hours(2010) are saving graces. Considering all this, I wasn’t really enthused about it going in but I have to say that this is my favourite Boyle so far.

Set 50 years into the future, our Sun in beginning to die. A team of 8 astronauts is set on the mission to reignite Sun and save mankind from extinction. Seven years ago, similar team underwent similar mission but they failed. So this is our last hope. On their way to Sun, they pick up signals from previous ship on the mission and decide to take a detour and look for them. As you would expect this is where things start getting south but as I did not expect it to, it kept me on my toes almost throughout its length. Right from the expository voice over narration at the start, it takes a deep, serious tone which slowly becomes menacing by the end. There is a sense of dread, of looming storm from the start which added a lot to it. Though not as drastic a change as 28 Days Later..., in the last 30—40 minutes even Sunshine turns into something else entirely. Parts of it didn’t make much sense to me and can be construed as weak link but it had scored enough brownie points by then and maybe it will make a little more sense on re-watch. Gorgeous shots of Sun, well acted, well written story and ability to keep me engaged till the very end is what makes this my favourite Boyle.
Rating(out of 5):

13 comments:

  1. Love reading these little horror tidbits on various blogs in October! The Changeling sounds like something I might enjoy, it seems like there are some parallels to The Conjuring which had a great way of building atmosphere in my opinion. I've actually never heard of Suspiria and now I definitely won't watch it. Sunshine also sounds good, I just don't think I'll watch it as part of my own horror marathon here in October since it does sounds more like a thriller.
    By the way, I caught up with The Thing yesterday and sort of liked it... I mean, I was a bit bored but I could see the greatness in the movie, just wasn't in the right mood I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what? Having seen The Conjuring just last month, there were multiple occasions I thought of it during The Changeling. Definitely there are similar aspects in both.
      Suspiria... I think I will be in overwhelming minority disliking it. So you can decide on that. And you are right about Sunshine as well. You can skip it for now but hopefully, you'll come back to it sometime later.
      As for The Thing. My guess is it wasn't only your mood because you have to remember the fact that it was from 80s and, at least for me, they Look and feel very 80s if you know what I mean. If you can overlook that, as I could for it but can not for many other films, maybe it will work better next time.

      Thanks for that Award as well, Mette! It was nice of you to think of me. :)

      Delete
  2. I liked The Changeling quite a bit, but I'm a big fan of minimalist horror. It does a lot with a little, and I always appreciate it when a film can do that. Suspiria...I like pretty well, but I'm also very much aware that it's got tons and tons of problems. The original script called for the girls being like 12 years old, which would never have flown. The issue is that the script needed updating and that didn't happen. I do love the soundtrack, though. It's one of my favorite movie soundtracks, let alone horror soundtracks.

    As for Sunshine, I love the first two-thirds. Love the first two-thirds almost as much as I love any other movie I have ever seen. I hate the third act. It's such a cheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about The Changeling. Great to see when that happens.
      As I said I haven't seen any other Argento but I think it was the directorial style that didn't work for me the most. Sure, many other things could have made it better but I think I still wouldn't LOVE it.

      Sunshine. It is interesting as I think there are quite a few people with similar opinion. I am assuming you are talking about the '5th person on-board'. I said that I am not exactly sure what all went down there and I'll agree there are some problems there but don't you think it laid down the plate earlier for something similar?

      Delete
    2. THE FOLLOWING RESPONSE WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR SUNSHINE!

      Yes, that's precisely what I'm talking about. We had a fantastic science-fiction drama that was beautifully filmed, and suddenly it's a slasher movie. We had a "10 Little Indians" situation going into that sequence, three characters died in completely different ways without that event happening. The uncoupling of the two spacecraft could've been taken care of by a malfunction. A great deal of the last act could happen in a similar way without anything remotely approaching the sun-maddened space dude showing up at the end to get all scalpel-y on everyone.

      For as genuinely great as the opening of the film is and for as beautifully designed as everything is, I felt cheated by the ending. With a consistent and coherent third act, this would probably be my favorite science-fiction film. Instead, it's one that I'm consistently disappointed in.

      Delete
  3. Hey SDG, you're not alone on Suspiria. I watched it last year and had a really hard time getting into it. As an audio/visual experience, it was pretty cool, but the terrible dubbed dialogue (and awful acting) pretty much killed it for me. Sometimes the music felt wildly inappropriate for what was happening on screen, too. I can see its appeal, but it just wasn't for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU !! Thank you so much. It's no fun hating on a classic alone. :) And yeah, awful acting played big part in turning me off. So Loud.

      Delete
  4. I can totally understand that response to Suspiria, because the story is quite weak(and virtually non-existent). On the other hand it has remarkable visual style, and to me the Goblin soundtrack is incredibly creepy.
    I think you need to be a fan of atmospheric, stylized horror, to love it, and I guess Suspiria didn't appeal to you. It isn't perfect, as you picked up on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you are saying and even agree that it had distinct style and is visually stunning. But these things are usually add-ons for me. I ain't buying anything because it Looks good. I am glad that people At least agree it lacks something.

      Delete
  5. I can understand the hatred for Suspiria, but the music alone gives it major creepy points for me. Sunshine is amazing, but when it changes genres near the end it kind of turned me off , but I still like it. Need to see The Changeling soon. Great post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! It just doesn't redeem a movie in my opinion but that's what I feel in general. Nothing specific about Suspiria.
      Sunshine - You definitely aren't the only one in that train. I guess, it doesn't bug me much because I expected it go there. But I hear you. Hope you do get to The Changeling soon and like it as well.
      Thanks for your Comment!

      Delete
  6. Yay! I've actually seen two of these. ;) I like Suspiria and Sunshine, but I understand your issues with the former. I just love the style of Suspiria.

    I've wanted to see The Changeling for a while. I should do that at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't have any problem with the Style, even I can understand people liking it. I, for one, could not get on board.

      The Changeling is definitely worth scoping it out. As Steve mentioned, minimalistic horror in it is quite effective I think.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...