Wednesday, May 23, 2012

10 Best Actors of All Time - Relay Race

This actor's relay ace, originated at My Film Reviews by Nostra has been doing round of the blogosphere for quite some time now. I have already seen it on at least dozen blogs that I follow and now finally due to our very own Nikhat@Being Norma Jeane, I have got an opportunity to add my two bits to it as well. Basic Idea in Nostra's own words is -

"I've created a list of what I think are the best actors. At the end I, just like in a real relay race, hand over the baton to another blogger who will write his own post. The blogger will have to remove one actor (that is an obligation) and add his own choice and describe why he/she did this. At the end the blogger chooses another blogger to do the same. We will end up with a list (not ranked in order) which represents a common agreement of the best actors."

Just look at how far this race has traveled, so far -

The Actors

Humphrey Bogart

Robert De Niro

Marlon Brando

Daniel Day Lewis

Jack Nicholson

Paul Newman

James Stewart

Gary Oldman

 
Johnny Depp
 
Who I Replaced ?
Ralph Fiennes
He is been in and out few times already. Sorry Stevee! There is nothing wrong with this dude. He was phenomenal in Schindler's List(1993) and In Bruges(1997).  His Voldemort was one of the very few things I liked about the whole Harry Potter movies and even though I remember these for their actresses, he does quite a good job in The Constant Gardener(2005) and The English Patient(1994) as well. I haven't seen likes of Quiz Show(1994) but as the word goes, he is good in it too. So, not a bad filmography for an actor at all. But I have to remove someone and almost everyone else on this list is a legend. I just can not bring myself to remove anyone else. So, it has to be Ralph Fiennes.

My Addition: Tom Hanks
 
Growing up, I always considered Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts to be my favorite Actor and Actress mostly because Indian channels used to show their movies a lot. Over the years as I have watched more and more films and got acquainted to more actors, I stopped doing it. I probably will not make a case for Julia Roberts, but even today I think Tom Hanks is still one of the great actors in the Industry as long as you don't judge his career based on Larry Crown(2011) and The Da Vinci Code(2006). Starting with family friendly comedy movies like Big(1988) to much more serious and dramatic roles like Catch Me if You Can(2004) and Cast Away(2002), Tom Hanks has come a long way in his career over more than three decades. From playing a love interest in movies like You've Got Mail(1997) to a war hero in Saving Private Ryan(1997) and bringing life to Woody in Toy Story Franchise, he has taken versatility in his stride. If I was asked to give my take earlier in the series, I would have added Jimmy Stewart - someone I really admire for playing very believable, normal characters - which Ruth did couple of hops back. Naturally, my next choice as well is someone known for playing an ordinary guy extremely well. An Actor and Star in equal major, this two time Oscar Winner for brilliant portrayals of Forrest Gump in Forrest Gump(1994) and Andrew Backett in Philadelphia(1993), is also a great person - both his acceptance speeches bear testimony to that and also is one of the industry's most well known and loved persons. I will also mention his name for producing Band of Brothers(2001) and The Pacific(2010) for doing some of most elaborate and visually stunning work on TV.

And now hoping that Tom Hanks will survive for some rounds in the list, I will say thanks to Nikhat for giving me this opportunity and welcome Lesya@Eternity of Dream back from her blogging hiatus and pass this on to her.

12 comments:

  1. Yaay for Depp still being there :P

    Great choice man. I love Hanks. He brings such a joy to his roles. There is an earnestness, which very few actors can genuinely portray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could not have said it better myself !! Thanks for tagging me.

      Delete
  2. I never got the love for Hanks - I think it's sad he has 2 Oscars and Fiennes and Oldman have none. That said, I liked his work in You've Got Mail, Green Mile and Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely think it's sad that Gary Oldman doesn't have any Oscar but not at Tom Hanks' expense. But I am happy that you like him in few movies at least.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for passing the blogathon to me.
    The list gets more and more perfect, it's much harder to choose who must be replaced than it was at the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome !! I know exactly what you are talking about. You are 25th contributor to the list so I believe it will only get difficult from here on.

      Delete
  4. You left Jimmy Stewart in, yay!!!
    Interesting choice with Hanks - I know he got taken out before. I remember him mostly from Forrest Gump, but loved him in Apollo 13 as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha !! If you haven't seen, Saving Private Ryan and Philadelphia are two of my favorite Tom Hanks roles. Check them out.

      Delete
  5. Nice to see you put Hanks back in as I think he deserves to be on the list. Thanks for joining the race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Tom Hanks for various reasons. In my opinion as well, he deserves to be in the list.

      Thanks for organizing it Nostra !! This is becoming a blogging phenomenon.

      Delete
  6. I love to see that this relay race is still chugging along. It's also fun to see those handful of actors who haven't been touched, because they're just that good. Great switch here... can't argue with Hanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 26th hope and counting now. That's something. And I agree with most of the untouched actors - De Niro, Brando and Day Lewis since it's inception and Bogart, Newman and Nicholson since they have been added. It is pretty much impossible to find someone better to replace them.

      Glad you like Tom Hanks as well. Thanks !!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...